Saturday, September 12, 2009

Opportunity or Hard Work

Opportunity
Master of human destinies am I!
Fame, love, and fortune on my footsteps wait.
Cities and fields I walk' I penetrate
Deserts and seas remote, and passing by
Hovel and mart and palace - soon or late
I knock unbidden once at every gate!

If sleeping, wake - if feasting rise before
I turn away. It is the hour of fate,
And they who follow me reach every state
Mortals desire, and conquer every foe
Save death; but those who doubt or hesitate,
Condemned to failure, penury and woe,
Seek me in vain and uselessly implore.
I answer not, and I return no more.

John Ingalls further leaves the thought: "The catch is that opportunity almost always involves some breasting of of the tide - i.e., hard work. Many people would rather simply wait for their ship to come in."

How many flowers bloomed by your window this summer? How many did you plant?

This photo taken by Elizabeth, while in Italy, made my think about the seasons in our life. So much of the beauty we find in each season will depend upon the actual amount of work we put into it.

God cares about each phase of our lives; He sends many opportunities our way, but we still have to work for the results we desire.

3 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Nice photo. Good post too!

Tina said...

Thank you for that wonderful post and encouragement. I especially loved the ending:

So much of the beauty we find in each season will depend upon the actual amount of work we put into it.

God cares about each phase of our lives; He sends many opportunities our way, but we still have to work for the results we desire.

(I often need reminders to get off my hind end and do the things I spend so much time pondering or considering.) We do need to make the most of each day God gives us. Thank you.
In His love,
Tina

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Very apt for the situation I'm facing today. Thank you!